Week 3 - Item Interactions

I'm really starting to get a grip on this coding lark! 

Given that I have zero background in coding, perhaps starting this game in C# (rather than using the various visual scripting options) was ambitious - but it somehow clicks in my brain more easily and I feel like I have more freedom with code. It's certainly felt like I've gathered momentum this week. There has been a lot of testing, trial and error, bug fixing, but I've made a lot of progress. I'm understanding how things work, my 'scripts' folder is expanding and I'm starting to write things from scratch without using tutorials to support me.

You can now interact with items, pick them up and add them to your inventory. This can affect the quest status, and be affected by it - all the strands are beginning to weave together.



which has resulted in...

Quest 1 complete!

Ok so I did resort to whiteboxing while I worked on the code for this quest - and finally I've got it complete! The items can be picked up, deposited, the conversation changes depending on quest status, and when you finish the quest, the NPC (lovelingly named The Forgotten) returns with you to The Centre (which I've still yet to model!)


The next challenge is making sure all my code still works when I have multiple quests running at once - and allows the player to do them in whatever order. I'm hopeful that the way I've constructed the code gives me this versatility and flexibility - whether that hope is well-founded we will soon find out!


Comments

Popular Posts