Week 6 - Playtesting, Post-processing and Polish

The first round of playtesting resulted in some incredibly useful feedback, covering a whole range of elements. 

Some problems that I was already planning on resolving (for example, placeholder images and the lack of a cinematic ending) and others were unexpected and very helpful to learn about. The sensitivity of the controls and un-inverted Y axis were remarked on by most players, so I prioritised improving the camera sensitivity and adding the option to flip the Y axis. I also got quite a lot of feedback about the travelling element of the game being too slow/tedious, so I added 'run' and 'jump' features to allow the player to choose the pace and to give them something to do while exploring.

A major issue that made the game unplayable for one player with a smaller-resolution monitor was the UI scaling. I'd entirely neglected to set this up properly, so some players had very tiny UI elements while for this player, the UI elements overlapped and covered important buttons and text. This was fixed fairly quickly.


The feedback about the visuals/artstyle was incredibly positive which was fantastic to hear - especially as a major the goal of the game is to display my art skills! And people also loved the story and the sound design, so lots of big ticks there.


The rest of this week has been spent modelling and texturing more characters and buildings, and adding some nice post-processing effects to improve the atmosphere. I also added that cinematic final credits cutscene, which I think is a lovely bookend and ties the game together nicely. At this point, I think all that's left to do for a complete game is to finish the final character/building models! Exciting stuff!

Comments

Popular Posts